There are no household items that are used more than your toilet. Your chest of drawers must be comfortable, functional, and adapted to the design of your bathroom.
Fortunately, toilets have been around for many years, and now numerous types, designs, functions, and flushing options are offered. Below are the four most popular types of toilets and what makes them different.
The average is $376 to install or replace a new toilet. Take advantage of the investment and learn a little more about the throne on which you will sit.
Our Top Picks
1. American Standard 2887218.020 H2Option Dual Flush Elongated 0.92/1.28 GPF Toilet, White
This toilet is narrower than some, which is a bonus for a small bathroom/water closet. It’s the right-looking unit, and the tank is smaller in real-life, which is a plus. It flushes reasonably well, though you might find it difficult to adjust the screws that “push” the mechanism in the tank. Too much, and it puts just enough pressure on the flush mechanism that it drains slightly, but continuously (so you’ll hear it refilled about every 20 minutes), or too little. You have to hold the button down slightly longer than you would with a traditional push handle.
If you’re installing it yourself, it’s very likely whatever bolts you use to attach it to the floor flange will need to be shortened (read: hacksawed off), or you could buy shorter ones. Usually, though, longer bolts that can be cut are what you get with a wax ring kit, so just be prepared.
- EverClean surface inhibits the growth of stain and odor-causing bacteria, mold, and mildew on the surface.
- Siphon jet bowl technology with PowerWash rim provides optimal UHET performance. Generous 9 x 8-inch water surface area.
- Seats sold separately.
- They have a limited lifetime warranty on chinaware.
- They limited five-year warranty on all mechanical parts.
- Dual flush 0.92/1.28 GPF H2Option for maximum water savings.
- Ultra-High Efficiency Toilets (UHETs) meet EPA WaterSense and MaP PREMIUM criteria
- Fully glazed 2″ trapway.
2. Aqua-Magic V RV Toilet Pedal Flush /High Profile / Parchment – Thetford 31672
It’s a great replacement toilet. It is comfortable and has perfect height, unlike other models that make you squat too low. The foot pedal does not feel flimsy, and you don’t have to worry about it breaking with your children using it. Easy to install, but you will probably have to extend the waterline a couple of inches.
- Aqua-Magic V is the RV toilet with a classic style and taller seating height, suited for all recreational vehicles.
- The toilet has a single-pedal system – press it halfway to add water to the bowl and all the way to flush – and offers 100% bowl coverage flush.
- Aqua-Magic V has a textured lid that sheds water and resists scuffs, offering a household toilet’s comfort and feel.
- There are a lightweight 17-1/2 inches plastic RV toilet, easy to install, use, and service.
- Easy-to-use single-handle flush; halfway adds water. Full activation provides a full-bowl coverage flush.
- High profile offers a taller seating height for maximum comfort.
- It’s lightweight, easy to install, use, and service.
- Textured lid sheds water, resists scuffs.
3. KOHLER K-3987-0 Wellworth Two-Piece Round-Front Dual-Flush with Class Five Flush System and Left-Hand Trip Lever, White
This toilet works well and is easy to install. It flushes excellent, and there are two handles for flushing, which is nice. It fits the bill perfectly. Just remember you will need to buy your toilet seat, and it does not come with a wax ring (some models do, but not this one. We like the dual flush functionality and it flushes everything.
- The item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately.
- Two-piece toilet; Does not include the seat; (Image is only a representation of the complete item).
- The round front bowl offers an ideal solution for smaller baths and powder rooms.
- Left hand nested trip lever offers a choice of 1.1 or 1.6 gallons per flush.
- 2 1/8 Inch glazed trap way.
- Coordinates with other products in the Wellworth collection.
4. Kohler 3811-0 Santa Rosa Comfort Height Elongated 1.6 GPF Toilet with AquaPiston Flush Technology and Left-Hand Trip Lever, White
The toilet flushes quickly and is not too loud when flushed. The height is a comfortable level. Generally, it’s a lovely modern toilet.
- One-piece toilets integrate the tank and bowl into a seamless, easy-to-clean design.
- Comfort Height offers chair-height seating that makes sitting down and standing up easier.
- Compact elongated bowl offers added comfort while occupying the same space as a round-front bowl.
- AquaPiston canister allows water to flow into the bowl from all sides, creating a more powerful & effective flush.
- Durable canister design has 90% less exposed seal material than a 3-inch flapper for leak-free performance.
5. TOTO CST243EF#01 Entrada Two-Piece Round 1.28 GPF Universal Height, Cotton White
Compact dimensions, good value. This toilet is shipped in two parts – a bowl and a tank. The only downside is that you have to buy the wax ring and the floor bolt covers. But for that price, it is more than worth it. We would recommend that if buying online, you should make sure that the vendor has stock.
- You get a clean, modern two-piece round bowl and tank set.
- E-Max 1.28 GPF flushing system creates a powerful flush.
- Toilet seat NOT included. Must purchase separately.
- There is a universal height for more comfort across a broader range of individuals.
- ADA, WaterSense, CALGreen, and CEC compliant.
6. KOHLER K-6424-0 Memoirs Classic Comfort Height Skirted One-Piece Compact Elongated 1.28 GPF with AquaPiston Flush Technology and Left-Hand Trip Lever, White, 28.25 x 18.00 x 27.75 inches
We like the clean look of this fully skirted unit, comfortable seat, and latest technology flushing. It is easy to install and works well. Somewhat expensive, but worth it. In our opinion, it only needs extra water line clearance.
- Compact elongated bowl offers added comfort while occupying the same space as a round bowl.
- Comfort height feature offers chair-height seating that makes sitting down and standing up more comfortable for most adults.
- Includes Polished Chrome left-hand trip lever and quiet-close with grip-tight seat does not have a supply line.
- Aquapiston canister allows water to flow into the bowl from all sides (360 degrees), increasing the flush’s power and effectiveness.
- Durable canister design has 90% less exposed seal material than a 3-inch flapper for leak-free performance
7. American Standard 215AB004.020 Cadet Pro 1.6 GPF 2-Piece Elongated Toilet with 10-In Rough-In, Large, White
This Cadet model will not include a seat. But any universal elongated seat can be used. An elongated bowl with a taller Right Height design enhances comfort and ease of use. It features the Cadet Flushing System. Vitreous china. Low consumption (6. 0 LF/1. 6 GPH)toilet. Trade exclusive tank. Power Wash rim scrubs bowl with each flush. Robust metal trip lever & metal shank fill valve. Chrome finish trip lever is supplied.
- It features the Cadet Flushing System.
- Vitreous china.
- It is a low consumption (6. 0 LF/1. 6 GPH) toilet.
- Trade exclusive tank.
- Power Wash rim scrubs bowl with each flush
8. TOTO MS854114EL#01 Eco Ultramax ADA Elongated One Piece Toilet, Cotton White
We love the powerful flush of the toilet and the sleekness of this model. Be cautioned, however, to the height of this toilet; the seat is 18 inches from the floor. The one-piece design is aesthetically pleasing and offers the benefit of being easier to clean versus a two-piece toilet. By removing the gap between the tank and bowl, you eliminate the hiding place for dirt and debris. An additional benefit of the one-piece toilet is that there is no threat of leaks from bolts or gaskets in two-piece toilets.
- Toto MS854114EL#01 ECO ULTRAMAX ELONGATED FRONT ADA COMPLIANT – COTTON.
- Sleek high profile one-piece toilet.
- E-Max Flushing System (1.28 Gpf/4.8 Lpf).
- Fast Flush: Wide 3-Inch flush valve is 125 percent larger than conventional 2-Inch flush valves.
- You will get a more comprehensive, 2-1/8-Inch computer designed, fully glazed trap way.
- Length is 28-inch, bowl rim height 16-1/2-inch, seat height 17-inch, tank height 27-1/2-inch, tank width 16-1/2-inch.
9. KOHLER – 540785 Memoirs Stately Comfort Height One-Piece Elongated 1.28 GPF with AquaPiston Flush Technology and Left-Hand Trip Lever, White
Inspired by elegant architecture and featuring crisp lines, this Memoirs Suite toilet with Stately design delivers functionality and water savings–as well as the traditional style. A high-efficiency 1.28-gallon flush offers up to 16,500 gallons of water savings per year (versus a 3.5-gallon toilet) without sacrificing performance. The included seat, positioned at chair height for your comfort, features technology for noiseless closing and easy cleaning.
- Comfort Height feature offers chair-height seating that makes sitting down and standing up more comfortable for most adults.
- Glenbury Quiet-Close seat with Quick-Release functionality allows the seat to close quietly and quickly unlatch from the toilet for easy removal and cleaning.
- WaterSense toilets meet strict EPA flushing guidelines, including using at least 20 percent less water than 1.6-gallon toilets.
- AquaPiston canister allows water to flow into the bowl from all sides, increasing the flush’s power and effectiveness.
- Durable canister design has 90% less exposed seal material than a 3-inch flapper for leak-free performance.
Learn more about how to choose the best toilet type when renovating your bathroom.
Buyers Guide and FAQs
Toilet Buying Guide
When choosing a toilet, it is essential to consider functional, style, and design aspects. If you are looking to transform your bathroom into an integrated and comfortable space, try to be right in choosing all its accessories.
Design, easy cleaning, existing installation, and available space are all important aspects when considering a toilet. Here are five criteria that will help you make your choice:
1. Shape and size
The space available in the bathroom determines the selection of the toilet model. It is essential to use it comfortably, leaving enough space around it and allowing nearby doors to be easily opened and closed.
There are round or square-shaped toilets. Round toilets are shorter and are ideal when you have little space at the front. On the other hand, square toilets allow you to gain space on the sides thanks to their more elongated shape.
2. Types of toilet
Depending on the water tank, different kinds of tanks exist, such as a low tank, compact, soft tank, high tank, suspended tank, or integrated tank toilets.
– Low tank: The most common and characterized by having a tank accumulating the water just above the bowl. Installation is simple, but cleaning requires a little more effort as there is a gap between the down tube and the wall that can be annoying.
– Low-tank/small compact toilet is similar to the low-tank toilet but differs because it is completely attached to the wall, so it takes up much less space than the previous one. The advantage is that it prevents dirt from a distance between the wall and the toilet.
– High-tank: It was the first model to be marketed on the market but, since the appearance of the low-tank toilet, it is practically no longer used. It is characterized by having the accumulation tank hanging on the wall and separated from the bowl. Communication between the two is done through a tube called a downspout.
– Suspended toilet: With a more modern design, the bowl is hung on the wall and can be easily cleaned by scrubbing the floor. It is installed with a built-in system that contains the tank and the mechanisms. The wall-hung toilet model can be an excellent option for very tight spaces.
– Toilet with the integrated tank: It is a novelty on the market, and its principal characteristic is that the water storage tank is integrated into the same bowl. That facilitates its placement because it avoids having to install the discharge mechanisms. This type of toilet can be suspended or installed on the floor, and, as it does not have a tank, its size is petite.
3. Types of water discharge
The toilet flushes the dirty water by flushing the water. There are three ways to discharge: vertical, horizontal, or dual.
– Vertical clearance: it has an internal siphon with the water outlet facing the ground. It is designed for those installations in which the drain pipes reach the toilet from the bottom.
– Horizontal discharge: incorporates an internal siphon but with the water outlet mouth facing the wall. This type of flush is used when the drain pipes reach the toilet through the wall.
– Dual discharge: the internal shape of its siphon allows the installation of the toilet both horizontally and vertically. A straight outlet fitting is used for wall installation and an elbow fitting for floor installation.
4. Types of the water inlet
The water inlet device fills the toilet tank after each flush to clean and ready for use. The water supply or inlet can occur from the side or the bottom.
– Side supply: the water inlet is connected to the toilet tank through a flexible hose on the upper right or left. This type of mechanism is shaped like a seven.
– Bottom feed: the drilling for the connection between the water and the tank is made at the tank’s bottom. In this case, the links are less visible and can even be completely hidden if the toilet is attached to the wall. This mechanism is straight.
5. Seats and covers
Each toilet has a specific lid and seat that fit perfectly. Both are fixed to the cup employing hinges made of stainless steel, with more outstanding durability, or plastic.
– Seat and cover with cushioned fall: the opening hinges have a cushioning system that slowly closes the lid without the need to hold it.
– Universal toilet seat and cover: They adapt to any toilet with a hinge system that can be adjusted in width. If you want to opt for those, you have to consider the cup’s shape, either round or square. Plastic, stainless steel, or cushioned hinged seats and lids can be found.
What is a smart toilet?
If you want the most comfortable and functional toilet, you should consider intelligent upgrades. From heated seats to automatic bottlers, the toilet’s comfort and functionality have been around for many years. To get the most out of your new toilet, consider the following improvements:
- Heated seats
- Movement activated lighting
- Handless rinsing
- Double flush systems
- Hard air dryers
- Deodorizing the seat
Why is bathroom cleaning necessary?
Proper hygiene eliminates the spread of diseases caused by bacteria and germs, such as gastroenteritis or the flu, by 30%.
Simple tricks to disinfect the bathroom:
- The mixture of vinegar with water is effective in removing lime accumulated in the shower. In the case of rust, you can prepare a solution of hot water with lemon and salt.
- To remove stains in the drain, you can apply baking soda with water.
Does Coca-Cola clean toilets?
It has been well documented with YouTube videos that Coca-Cola can clean the toilet very well. To do this, pour Coca Cola inside the toilet bowl and let it act for an hour or so. Then rinse and use the bath brush to remove the remains.
Watch the effects of using Coca Cola in the toilet in the following video:
Can I leave bleach in the toilet overnight?
Bleach is a product of everyday use and widespread in many countries to clean and disinfect homes. However, researchers have now discovered that its vapors, combined with light and a citrus compound found in many household products, can form airborne particles that can be harmful when inhaled by pets or people.
Cleaning products with bleach emit compounds that contain chlorine, such as hypochlorous acid (HOCl) and chlorine gas, which can accumulate to relatively high levels in poorly ventilated indoor environments.
These gases can react with other chemicals commonly found in homes, such as limonene, an orange or lemon-scented compound added to many personal care products, cleaners, and air fresheners.
Is black mold in toilets dangerous?
Mold, especially black mold, is difficult to remove and the most dangerous since, when trying to remove it, it usually gives off spores that are not good for your health because they can cause allergies and asthma.
How many times a week should you clean your bathroom?
It is advisable to clean the bathrooms at least once a week, paying particular attention to the toilet. If there is only one bathroom in the house and the toilet is overused because there is more than one person, it is advisable to review its cleaning extra during the week.
What diseases can you get from a dirty bathroom?
The main microbes that live in bathrooms are micrococci and corynebacteria. Those are related to different skin pathologies, such as streptococci. They are mainly linked to the respiratory tract, pseudomonas (urinary tract), and enterobacteria.
Therefore, they can cause infections in our genital organs, even problems that prevent us from breathing normally. And, of course, skin problems such as eczema and swelling.
However, we would like to end the myth that crabs can be spread in a dirty bathroom. Crabs live very short outside of a person or animal. Therefore, they need a reservoir that is human or animal. So, if you do not touch above mentioned things, you cannot get it.
Is it wrong to flush the toilet with the lid open?
The intestinal bacteria that can be found inside the toilet – Escherichia coli, Norovirus, Salmonella, or Campylobacter, among others – can jump up to one and a half meters away when the toilet pis flushed due to the swirl of water that forms. Therefore, it is advisable always to flush the toilet once the toilet seat has been lowered and not before.
Why should you never put toilet paper on a toilet seat?
Specialists indicate that putting toilet paper does not solve any problem, as it has a rough texture ideal for bacteria and microbes to spread.
An indispensable part of the sanitation of every bathroom is a toilet. Choosing the right one has become one of the significant challenges when making a purchase decision. Therefore, in this article, we shared plenty of useful information to serve as a guide to you, especially if you’re in the process of choosing this essential bathroom item.