Server systems usually consist of hundreds of components. These are active equipment (like servers, computers, and monitors), helpful accessories, and supplementary tools. Thus, the weight of such cabinets can reach 200-300 kg. However, this is not the only drawback. Transportation is risky since expensive computing hardware can be damaged on the road, which is more important. That is why the price for server rack relocation is high, and not all carriers are experienced enough in moving network devices.
Thus, it is important to pick contractors for transportation attentively and keep in mind two general criteria:
- thorough preparation;
Safe relocation greatly depends on a proper preparatory process. System administrators and carriers should foresee many points and ensure reliable fastenings of system components. Skilled carriers who have great experience in transporting server cabinets know all the subtleties of the delivery of this type of cargo.
To simplify relocation and make cabinets more portable, server furniture items are equipped with casters and handles. If you want to buy a rolling server cabinet, look through the assortment of products offered here.
Now, let’s consider each stage of the relocation process.
How to Plan Full Server Rack Relocation
When planning server rack transportation, make sure to go through the following stages:
- Start with the creation of an inventory list. Write down all the components (both main equipment and supplementary tools and accessories). Note how many dowels, screws, switches, etc. are in one cabinet.
- Back up your data. Server systems are designed to store valuable data, databases, and other strategic information, the loss of which can lead to business failure. So, make sure to create a backup copy of all the information stored on servers.
- Ensure a proper cooling environment to meet servers’ requirements. When choosing a new room for cabinet installation, pay due attention to the environmental issues since network systems require maintaining optimal temperature and humidity levels to perform properly and smoothly.
- Plan the wiring and cabling process carefully. Consider the issue of how the system will be connected to a PDU, and check whether power sockets are located conveniently to avoid using electric extenders. Since network systems require thousands of wires to connect not only units to PDUs but also to each other, it is recommended to decrease the number of used wires as possible.
- Think of any installation errors that may occur at the new address. Visit a new location once again and expect what possible threats or errors you can face during installation and setting up the system on the new premises. For example, no firefighting system is installed, few power sockets are provided, etc.
- Make sure that you will have a stable Internet connection at the relocation address. Computing systems require a stable and strong connection to the Web. Thus, make sure that no problems will occur with this issue.
Once you overcome these points, you’re ready to proceed to the next phase of the server rack move.
Tips on How to Simplify the Process of Server Relocation
So, now, let’s see how to physically move a server with all the attached equipment. Experts recommend sticking to the following step-by-step guide:
- Prepare for malfunctions. Create a backup copy and make sure that the information is reliably protected.
- Make a recovery test to make sure how quickly your server will return to work after unforeseen circumstances.
- Contact suppliers.
- Finish data migration. Make sure that data is kept in a safe place and system power-off won’t lead to data loss.
- Follow data protection protocol.
- Pack hardware. Switch off the system and disconnect it from the PDU.
- Cable management. Unplug cables (it is advisable to label or mark them somehow to quickly and easily plug the server into power after relocation).
- Make sure the hardware is well secured. Check how devices are fastened in trucks.
- Relocate devices.
Upon delivery, it is advisable to allocate equipment according to the order of mounting. This will simplify the assembly process.
Importance of Picking a Trusted Carrier
The selection of carriers plays one of a crucial role during server rack relocation. Nowadays, many delivery companies offer their services. Yet, as mentioned above, it is important to find a contractor that has already faced this task and has experience in moving network equipment. Particularly, when picking a carrier, pay attention to the following aspects:
- Types of trucks. What vehicles are used for cabinet relocation?
- Fastening solutions (lifting straps, fasteners, etc.). What means are used to ensure equipment safety on the road and how cabinets are fastened on machines during transportation?
- Guarantees. What guarantees a firm provides in the case of an emergency? Some companies provide extended guarantees. Is a warranty provided?
- Experience in server relocation. Have carriers transported network systems?
- Price policy.
Compare several offers. Never choose the first one you find on the Web. Select several options and compare the offered conditions; it is advisable to make a comparison table.
If you have friends or colleagues who have addressed delivery companies and can advise you and help find a reliable carrier, this will be a good way to hire professional employees and relocate servers to a new data center.
As a last thought of the article, we want to note that most models of server cabinets are supported by small legs instead of wheels, which makes them almost importable and unsuitable for transportation. In such cases, system administrators should completely rearrange systems and spend much more time on relocation. Modern models are more advanced in terms of mobility and equipped with casters or handles. Thus, their portability properties are higher. Still, it is rather hard to relocate and requires considering some nuances that we mentioned above.
To summarize the article, note that server cabinet transportation is a complicated process that requires thorough preparation. The choice of the right (competent) carrier is one of the essential tasks to ensure equipment integrity on the way. However, system administrators also should put much effort to foresee all possible errors and avoid data loss.