Fishkill is an upscale suburban community in Dutchess County in the state of New York. The town occupies a total area of 32 square miles that partially surround the city of Beacon located at its western boundary. The town derives its name from the Dutch words “vis kill” which translates to Fish Creek. Fishkill has evolved from being a simple town with a single mill into an affluent community centered on technological industries. The town’s promising commerce, affordable housing, breathtaking river views, exciting mountain trails, exceptional dining, and comfortable accommodations make it a great place to live in or visit.
- Fishkill contains a historic village of the same name, located in the northeast part of town.
- The first copies of the New York State Constitution were printed in 1777 in the town of Fishkill.
- Fishkill is one of the fastest-growing towns in the region, with most industries based on technology.
- In 1996, the animal rights group PETA moved to change the town’s name to something that does not suggest animal violence. The town declined on grounds that the name means “fish creek” based on its Dutch origin.
- Fishkill is home to one of Hollywood artists Mariah Carey’s projects, Camp Mariah.
- Milo Thatch, a fictional character in the Disney movie Atlantis: The Lost Empire, was said to have been born in Fishkill.
The Town of Fishkill offers plenty of lodging options that fit every travel style and budget. If you’re traveling on a lean budget, stay at the Days Inn. The hotel features recently remodeled accommodations and favorable amenities at rates that do not rob the bank. You can make use of the hotel’s business center, fitness facility, and free high-speed Internet access. Guests at the Days Inn are also served with daily complimentary breakfasts. On the other hand, if you don’t mind paying a few more dollars for luxury accommodations, Hotel Sierra Fishkill-Poughkeepsie is a popular three-star property that offers comfortable rooms, friendly staff and a host of winning amenities. Book your Fishkill Hotels with Reservations.com.
There’s a lot to see, do and explore in the Town of Fishkill and the neighboring areas. If you’re traveling with children, take them to the SplashDown Beach Water Park. The water park offers pools and water rides fit for guests from all walks of life. Golf aficionados can head to the Fishkill Golf Course and Driving Range where they can enjoy tee time and some socializing. The Van Wyck Homestead Museum is a Dutch colonial home that served as headquarters of officers during the Revolutionary War. The museum features artifacts from the Continental Army, a working colonial kitchen and a historical library. You may also explore 18th-century folk art in the graveyard of the Dutch Reformed Church.
Best Dining Spots
Visitors to Fishkill are treated to an exceptional dining experience. If you’re craving for pasta, you can have your fill at Il Barilotto, a favorite spot for Italian favorites. The restaurant serves innovative Italian dishes, an impressive wine list, and unforgettable desserts. Joe Willy’s Fish Shack and Hudson’s Ribs & Fish, meanwhile, are great places for fresh seafood. You can also get a taste of Asia at the Golden Buddha Thai Cuisine, Toro and Izumi Hibachi.