Personal injury lawyers are the ones dealing with cases where an individual gets injured in an accident that was caused by another person. It’s quite a difficult job because it requires a lot of knowledge and attention. The attorney helps defend the injured person in court and if proven that the injury was indeed caused by the accused individual, the injured will be able to get compensation.
Many people assume all attorneys are doing the same thing, and that they can help clients in all sorts of situations. But personal injury lawyers are specialized in their own field, and they are different from other types of lawyers. Still, what makes them so different? Let’s find out!
What Are the Different Types of Lawyers?
In order to understand that personal injury lawyers are different, you have to be aware of what other types of lawyers exist. Here is a list of lawyers for comparison:
- Criminal Defense Lawyer – Criminal defense lawyers handle issues regarding arrests, criminal charges, criminal investigations, and anything of the sort.
- Business Lawyer – Business lawyers are either litigation or transactional attorneys. They handle matters related to businesses.
- Family Lawyer – Divorces or any type of legal case surrounding the family will be handled by a family lawyer.
- Real Estate Lawyer – Real estate lawyers are the ones dealing with real estate legal matters. They are contacted when there are any problems with a property.
- Personal Injury Lawyer – A personal injury lawyer is dealing with situations involving injuries caused by someone else through carelessness, negligence, or even intentionally sometimes.
- Civil Litigation Lawyer – An individual will have to hire a civil litigation lawyer when they are sued by someone else.
Personal Injury – What Are the Basics?
What exactly is personal injury? Well, you should know that it doesn’t refer to injuries you inflict upon yourself intentionally or intentionally. It refers to injuries caused by other people. Here are a few situations when personal injury applies:
- Intentional Injury
When someone does something intentionally in order to harm another individual, it is an intentional act where personal injury laws apply. Some of these acts include battery and assault.
- Accidental Injury
Accidental injuries maybe some of the most common ones. They are caused by carelessness or negligence. That being said, accidental injuries may be a consequence of medical malpractice, a slip and fall, a car accident, and others.
If someone makes a defamatory statement against you that affected you psychologically, personal injury laws can help you in a defamation case.
- Defective Products
Personal injuries can be caused by defective products as well, such as pharmaceutical products, medical devices, car components, and many others. If the product was already defective and you got harmed by it, then the personal injury laws can apply.
What Is the Difference between Personal Injury Lawyers and Other Lawyers?
Whether you are dealing with your own legal case now and need an attorney or you just want to know more about the law in general, you must be aware of what makes each attorney unique. It’s always essential to know which lawyer would be suitable for your situation. That being said, you need someone who understands the legal system, is compassionate enough, and is willing to help you.
Personal Injury Law and What it Involves
What makes a personal injury lawyer different from other types of lawyers is the “tort law” knowledge of this attorney. They are governed by personal injury laws, and these will allow the attorney to protect a person’s rights in case they get injured because someone else wanted it, or because someone else was neglectful. In personal injury cases, the focus will be on the damages done to the victim or their property and getting compensation for the losses suffered.
In order to start a personal injury case, the victim has to file a complaint to the local police, although it’s possible to do it through different legal bodies as well. But getting a personal injury lawyer is also something that works when the victim cannot file a complaint. The attorney will be the one filing the claim on behalf of the victim. Then, the client and the lawyer will work on collecting any type of evidence that shows how the accident was caused by the accused individual.
Why Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer Is so Important
Even though it’s possible to hire a general practice lawyer for a personal injury case, it’s not exactly the best thing to do. A personal injury lawyer specializes in personal injury and has enough training, knowledge, and skills to know how to help you in such a scenario.
So, if you’re not sure whether looking for a personal injury lawyer in your area is necessary or not, you should consider these things:
- Personal injury lawyers can help evaluate the emotional and physical effects the injury had on you, and then quantify the damages and injuries in order to assess the possible compensation claim you can make.
- They will deal with every part of the case. So, you’ll get their support from the beginning to the end of the case.
- They will care for your rights and interests. On top of that, they will make sure that if you were injured due to someone else’s negligence, you will be able to get compensation for your suffering.
- They will know exactly how to prove that you were not the one at fault for the accident or injury when that is the case.
- Therefore, you have to pick your personal injury attorney carefully. It’s crucial to look for lawyers with experience in the field, such as the ones from Batson Nolan. You also need to search for lawyers in your area. There’s no point in hiring a lawyer from New York when your personal injury case is in Chicago.
An experienced personal injury attorney can be of great help if you suffered an injury because of someone else’s negligence. Understanding what makes them different will allow you to make the best decision. In the end, the right lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve for your suffering.